A Box of Love Bento

15 comments


I thought I'd blog more that I am on holiday, but I was wrong. Practically I've spent my days off doing nothing but watching war-related films/series...;). What a way to celebrate the festive season...;)!

Do you know 'Grave of the Fireflies'? I watched the live-action and totally cried my eyes out. I have the animation too but haven't watched it yet, I read that it's also extremely sad. I found a really good mini-series as well called '99 Years of Love: Japanese American'. The story is like a mixture of 'Gone with the wind' by Margareth Mitchell and 'The Good Earth' by Pearl.S.Buck.

Anyway, back to today's post... I finally managed to make a bento lunch again this morning after being absent from bento making for more than a week. At least I wanted to have something nice to celebrate the new year :).




The bento box consists of one puppy onigiri, three homemade ebi fries, pickled cucumber and carrot salad topped with rabbit-shaped papaya, two shrimp temari sushi, one egg, cheese daisy, strawberries and parsley for garnish.


Ebi Fry - makes 12
  • 12 large shrimps
  • 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  • Set the eggs, flour and bread crumbs in three different shallow bowls.
  • Add oyster sauce, salt and pepper to the egg bowl and mix well.
  • One at a time, dredge the shrimp in the flour, then dip in the egg mixture and coat with the bread crumbs.
  • Repeat step 3 one more time (optional).
  • Deep-fry the shrimps until golden brown.

Pickled Cucumber and Carrot Salad

  • Cucumber - thinly sliced
  • Carrot - julienned
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Vinegar
  • Toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Directions

Cucumber pickles

  • Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  • Remove excess liquid from the cucumber and rinse with water. Pat dry.
  • Add vinegar and sugar to taste. Mix well.
  • Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.

Easy Carrot pickles

  • Mix the julienned carrot with vinegar, salt and sugar to taste.
  • Set aside for 10 minutes before serving.
  • Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.




I wish you all a very happy new year 2012 :D)!!
Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

15 comments:

  1. This bento is so gorgeous, as usual !! I love the little puppy ! I always think to myself that I should do a bento of my dog, Kodah, but I really can't figure out how i'd do that. Is the rabbit made with one of your new cutters ?? It looks really nice !! I wish you a happy new year too, may all your wishes come true !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, those shrimps look amazing. Crispy, crunchy... delicious! Bet they're so good with the little cucumber pickles, and as always CG, exemplary presentation! So beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The puppy is so cute. I love the eyes detail.
    Happy new year, Sin...GBU and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely, I also has watched Grave of the Fireflies and cried my eyes out but for the Holidays I actually watched Cowboy Bebop and had a great laugh with it!

    It's kind of sad I didn't participate in the Bento Contest you had but I surely hope I can come up with something and finally purchase a Totoro Bento Box! *crossing my fingers*

    I'm vegetarian so I'll see what happens!

    Happy 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good and delicious as always.
    HAppy New year to you too. Wishing you 2012 full of delicious and beautiful Bento´es

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! It sounds like we had the same blogging hopes for holidays and we both ended up spending these days in the same way. TV series, couch, drinks... The second film sounds like something I might love. Thanks for the idea.
    It looks like you have worked really hard with this beautiful bento! Beautiful as always! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, so much love is coming from that bento box! Happy New Year to you, CG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute and yummy as alwayssss <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I have watched Grave of the Fireflies. It's such a sad story. Thinking of the brother trying to take care of his sister made me cry and I cry every time I watch it. >_< I watched it when I was still small and I will never forget the feeling I felt.

    Anyway back to your cute bento. It's a great way to start a new year! I love your temari sushi (or regular rice?) too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year to you and your family, CG! Your ebi-furai looks so crunchy!
    I`ve watched the Hotaru no Haka anime only, but you`re right, it`s a real sad story. And the picture of the candy in a can remains in my head until now. I even saw some shops selling that canned candy ("doroppusu")!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww es ist so toll wieder <3 Woher hast du den Häschen-Ausstecher? ;3 Dieses Jahr ist das Jahr des Drachen, machst du da auch mal wieder ein Drachen-Bento? :D Fänd ich so toll. <3 Übrigens...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! *knuddel*

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty; I want to eat at your place.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog! Its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is just so beautiful, everything looks delicious and the papaya too, so cute! wishing you a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete