Spring Piggy Bento

25 comments


I bought this new slim 'bento box' yesterday. Well, it's actually not a bento box but a container for storing screws, nuts and bolts, etc - I bought it in a building supplies/home improvement store ;). It only costs about €1, so I thought, why not? I have been itching to make bento using a slim bento box and my new slim bento box which I ordered online a few days ago has not arrived yet, so when I saw this container, I didn't give myself a second thought and directly place it in my shopping trolley :D).



I am still very busy since we're going to start renovating our house tomorrow, so if I haven't been visiting your blogs or replying any comments or e-mails, please do understand :).

Fortunately, the weather has been quite nice lately. It's still rather cool but mostly sunny. I see lots of flowers around, including cherry blossoms and plum blossoms (which look very similar to cherry blossoms but the petals are slightly darker). My bento today is spring/hanami inspired, thus the pinkish props :).

By the way, I made kimchi yesterday, so the bento box today is filled with some Korean goodies, such as Kimchijeon (Korean Pancakes with Kimchi) and Onigiri seasoned with Kimchi juice. The two little piggies are made out of quail eggs and coloured with beet juice. I shaped the piggies into round balls by slightly pinching/forming the quail eggs with my fingers when they were still warm. This really works...! I first read about this method in Tata's blog, so thanks, Ta :)!

Kimchijeon with Whole Kimchi Leaves - serves 7
Adapted from Maangchi
  • 7 Kimchi leaves
  • 150 grams ground pork
  • 125 gram minced tofu
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • Flour for coating the kimchi leaves
Please check this link for directions. I made the second type of kimchi pancakes, the one with ground pork, minced tofu and whole kimchi leaves. I find this version tastier than the normal round kimchi pancake with the flour/water batter.

Easy Kimchi Onigiri
  • Cooked rice
  • Kimchi juice
  • Chopped green onions
  • Nori (roasted seaweed) to decorate the onigiri



I also had tamagoyaki, 1/2 mini cucumber, 1/2 mini orange sweet pepper, 1 chilli, 1 blanched carrot flower, blanched broccoli, 2 ham flowers, grapes, 1 strawberry, 2 blackberries and red currant in the bento box.

Now I need to get some sleep as it's almost midnight here. So good night, everyone :)!


Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

25 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! I'd look forward to lunch much more everyday if I had something so cute waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great as always ;)
    I am also going to bed now, so wish you a good night as well ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little piggies! So cuto :) Nice work with the 'slim' bento.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is gorgeous! I have so much to learn...I love the long "bento" box. You filled it beautifully. I am picking up a lot of ideas and pointers from you. I just posted one on The Tiny Bento, first one in a long time. I think I need to keep at it and practice practice practice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I see this before going to sleep, I won't be able to sleep! :O

    Another beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow adorable! Your onigiris look and sound so good! And it's so fun the way the piggies are sitting on them.
    I like using non bento stuff for bento. Whenever I find nice conrainers, I wonder if it fits for bento. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really cute! Too cute to be eaten for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made good use of your new container! I still don't understand how you manage to make these so often..and so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking recipe dear. Excellent preparation. Wonderful preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. very very tempting fat piggies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute little piggies! I wish my lunch looked like this every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so adorable,love it,great looking

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute onigiris with pinky piggies! Wow, your bentoing skill is getting crazier day by day :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ce minunatie de blog am descoperit!!!! Felicitari!
    O saptamana placuta!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...looks awesome and cute...

    ReplyDelete
  16. so so cute... come here little piggies won't you be mine?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep it looks very "Spring"! :) Love the decos you have in the bento, kawaii~

    ReplyDelete
  18. GASP! As usual - unbelieveably pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woo I love pink piggie! My daughter will go crazy if she sees this, but then I better not because she'll ask me to make it for her. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look amazing this one!! I dont see before! huggs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  21. your are so talented.. another lovely bento..

    ReplyDelete
  22. So deliciously cute!

    Happy Easter!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete