I knew I had to make Yangnyeom Tongdak after I saw the recipe in Maangchi's website. I was a bit skeptical in the beginning when I saw that she used potato flour and sweet glutinous flour to coat the chicken, because I thought it would make the chicken somehow chewy instead of crunchy. But seeing how Maangchi's fried chicken turned out in her video and as so far all the recipes I have tried from her site are never disappointing, I felt very encouraged to try it - And it was absolutely the right decision. The fried chicken together with the red sauce was totally delicious! One of the best fried chickens I know. I was positively surprised by how crunchy the chicken was. I even called my mum and asked her to try it too, and she loves it...!
I didn't use chicken drumsticks nor chicken wings, because my husband doesn't like eating chicken with bones, that's why I used chicken thigh fillet cut into small cubes. I changed the recipe for the sauce quite here and there because I lacked some ingredients, such as tomato ketchup and rice syrup, but the sauce still tasted absolutely delicious...!!
Korean Fried Chicken
- 1 kilogram chicken thigh fillet, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup potato starch powder (I used tapioca flour)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup glutinous flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying the chicken
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon honey (or more if you don't find it sweet enough)
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Tonkatsu sauce
- 50 ml boiling water
- Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands.
- Add all dry ingredients: tapioca flour, glutinous flour, all-purpose flour and baking soda, plus the egg.
- Mix everything well. When you notice that it's too dry, add some drops of water, just to make sure that the chicken chunks are well coated.
- Fry the chicken over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add the minced garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds under medium heat.
- Add hot pepper sauce, honey, Tonkatsu sauce, apple vinegar and boiling water. Cook for 1 minute.
- Toss in the freshly fried chicken chunks to the sauce. Coat well.
- Sprinkle the chicken with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice and vegetables.