Nasi Goreng Belanda

9 comments
Literally Nasi Goreng Belanda means Dutch fried rice. There's nothing Dutch about this fried rice actually, I simply call it this way because my Dad likes to call his version of fried rice Dutch fried rice - perhaps because Indonesia used to be colonised by the Dutch? I have to clarify this with my Dad...! I don't know why I never really asked him!



My Dad never cooks. It's always my Mum, or our house-maid. He's normally too busy to be in the kitchen. But I still remember, when I was really young, my Dad went to the kitchen once and whipped up real delicious red-coloured fried rice. I asked him for the recipe and afterwards I started to experiment making my Dad's version of red hot fried rice. I've never really managed to make my fried rice so bright red. I guess it's because I always use sambal oelek (which can be very hot if you use too much of it) instead of loads of seeded fresh red chilies. Anyway, I like my Dad's version of fried rice. I've modified the recipe a bit here and there to my own liking, but the flavour of my Dad's Nasi Goreng Belanda is still there...




Ingredients
  • 2 plates of cooked long-grained rice (from the day before)
  • 3 tbs oil/margarine
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 10-15 cloves French shallot, minced (substitute with 2-3 spanish onions if you cannot find any French shallots)
  • 10 seeded large red chilies, minced (or 2-3 tbs sambal oelek)
  • 2 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tbs oyster sauce
  • 2 tbs sweet soy sauce
  • 1 tbs terasi (shrimp paste)
  • 200 g seafood (prawns, squids, mussels) or substitute with any toppings you like
  • 3 tbs sliced green onions (optional)
Garnish
  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Scrambled eggs



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

9 comments:

  1. It does look great!!!
    Ah! I am not sure if you have ever gone to Netherland; there are many Indonesian food, or at least, there are a lot of things with Indonesian words such as nasi, and lumpia :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....that looks really delicious. Love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I just found your beautiful blog and i HAD to comment on how wonderful it is. Not only are you a great cook, but those are such great presentation and photography skills. I'm drooling just looking at your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mantappp , gile nasi goreng Belanda pake terasi .. wkkkkk ha2

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks really good, I love it with more sambal and chilli. And I think it goes really well with your water spinach dish too, hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. liat lg makin ngiler , g mau donk . Bikinin yah ha22
    sebenarnya g jg suka bikin nasi gr Belanda ake gini , tapi males ulek cabe jadi suka pake bumbu instant nasgor KOKITA yg udah pedes . tinggal tambahin bawang aja .

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Veny- Kamu di Jakarta mah tinggal beli aja nasgor dimana-mana.... Aku paling suka nasgor di Solaria. Rasanya gak yg kayak aku buat ini sih, tapi manteb deh!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking...why Dutch fried rice too? :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks definitely delicious!
    Happy Easter Day! I've an award for you, please come and pick it up when you're free.

    ReplyDelete